[TriLUG] Slightly OT:Vonage vs. TWC Phone Service

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Fri Oct 7 11:07:31 EDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 11:15:54AM -0400, Matt Pusateri wrote:
> Triluggers,
>
> I trying to decide on Vonage versus Time Warner Cable's phone service.

Of note, both of these services lock you in to using their device and no
other.  While this is not a problem for those of you wanting your stuff to
"Just Work", I would be remiss in my duties as a Linux geek if I did not
mention the possibilities of Asterisk.

Here is a list of providers of residential VoIP service, some known to work
with Asterisk:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VOIP+Service+Providers+Residential

I believe Mark Turner or Jon Carnes might be able to comment on some of
these services.  Antecdotes welcome.

Once you have your VoIP service terminated at your Asterisk box, you can do
all the neat things you heard about in Mark's presentation a couple months
ago.  Of course, you still need to convert that IP signal back to something
audible for your ears.  Here are a couple places to get good unlocked gear:
http://www.voxilla.com/  (I have purchased from here)
http://www.voip-supply.com/
Again, other suggestions and antecdotes welcome.

Now, this may seem like a daunting task for something as simple as phones,
but the power this gives you is amazing.  Even if you decide not to go this
route for your main phone line(s), I'd suggest setting up an Asterisk box to
play with anyway.  You might find some situations where you can bypass the
traditional phone network altogether :)

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5