[TriLUG] access without compromise?

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 18:42:08 EDT 2005

I'm sitting at computer foo and want to access computer bar.

Bar is my home computer (debian box behind cheap-cheap motorolla
802.11g router behind TWC modem--and yes, I can easily set up port
forwarding on the router) and foo is a cheap-cheap WinXP workstation.
I don't trust the network foo is on. More importantly, it is
*possible* that Big Brother will poke in and see what I'm doing (or
have done) with foo, but I can install software & modify settings on
foo.

I want to be able to log into bar without compromising passwords or
leaving anything from bar on foo that I didn't intentionally put
there.

I should mention that I regularly use a rather locked-down install of
"RealVNC" (Win32 VNCViewer version 3.3.7, http://www.realvnc.com) to
do what I need to do on foo, but that it won't work for accessing
servers outside the local network. While accessing an X session on bar
would be nice, that's not really necessary--probably a waste of
bandwidth that isn't mine to play with, too.

Mainly I want to do this to access my music from home without wasting
money on media.

:P

I was thinking something like openSSH (http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/).

Is there another (easier, secure) way to access my music on bar?

Thoughts/objections?

TIA,
CMP

--