[TriLUG] Penguins in the desert

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 14:49:30 EDT 2005

Liberia?

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/6618.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/wafrica.htm#region
http://www.cdc.gov/nip/recs/adult-schedule.htm

And, the critical hardware
http://www.steripen.com/ (never travel overseas w/o this baby)

Um.. take two copies of your passport and leave a third with a trusted
relative who can fax or fedex the copy to the government should your
passport get lost of stolen.  It might be a good idea to get the
copies of your passport notarized, though I have never done this (and
I've never been to west Africa sans massive government firepower, but
that's a whole other story).

I can't help you much about dealing with Liberians but learning a few
words and phrases is probably a good idea (I'd start with "let's
kidnap the American", that's always a good one to recognize in a
foreign language).

As for the computers, I have run several computers in less then idea
conditions.  Depending on your budget you may want to go wireless and
if you do that, I would highly suggest a Cisco AP-1200.  I had two
APs, one a Cisco and one a Linksys WRT54G, installed in a VERY hot
location and the Linksys melted and died and the Cisco lived.  Also,
the Cisco puts out an honest 100 mw of power and still stays cool,
which is very nice.

You never really said what your transport network is though you
mentioned a cable router.  Do they actually have data over cable in
these areas or are you going to go with satellite communications or
long-range ip via low-bandwidth radio?

As for linux distro suggestions I'd say give Ubuntu a try.  I continue
to be amazed at this distro.  Plus I like debian for servers in very
remote areas.  It is much easier to update debian, even between
distributions, then any other linux I've had to administer.

Another suggestion: scrap the idea of standard hardware.  Look at
mil-spec or other hardened devices like the Panasonic Toughbook T-29.
I was trying to find the operating range of this laptop but it's got
to be way beyond what any standard desktop is rated at.  Other
benefits include built-in battery backup of sorts, lower total power
draw, built into 802.11g, dust and moisture sealed keyboard, screen,
everything.  Whatever your budget is make sure you have something like
this with you when you get there.

Take a good digital camera too.  This sounds like one of those
once-in-a-lifetime trips so take lots of pictures.

Greg