[TriLUG] Penguins in the desert

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Oct 10 15:07:17 EDT 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Greg Brown wrote:

> Liberia?

my son's soccer coach is from Liberia. He left after the
start of the 1990 civil war. From him I learned there that
Liberia is a classed society. The rich people (5% of the
population - descendants of the slaves from the US) live in
Monrovia. The rest live and work in plantations owned by the
rich people under conditions similar to those in the south
before the US civil war. Quite what's going on there now I
don't know, but this is a start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberia

Anyhow be sensitive to the existance of the haves and the
have-nots. It's not a homogenious society.

The coach wrote a book about Liberia in the era
leading up to the Civil War

"Baa Salaka" - Dunstan MacCauley (it's in English)

if you want to learn more about the politics and
society. It's at B&N.

Joe