[TriLUG] Amavis disappearing - How to debug?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 08:28:23 EST 2005

On 10/31/05, Brian McCullough <bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 07:53:05AM -0500, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> > Aaron,
> >
> > It kicked off this morning.  So I've now upped the log level to 3, and
> > while I was at it had amavis log to it's own file.
> >
> > I might regret that last step though.  Are there any good open source
> > log viewers which let you look at multiple log files and get a
> > chronological perspective?  I seem to recall reading about something
> > like this in Infoworld or some other mag in a hospital waiting room
> > (of all places) but IIRC it wasn't open source.
>

> Rick,
>
> I would look into Swatch, or, something new that I just heard about on
> Thursday night, Splunk ( if I remember correctly ).

Swatch isn't really what I was talking about. It looks like it just
allows you to monitor one log file and generate events when something
of interest happens.

I'm pretty sure that splunk was the prototypical tool which I read
about in the magazine. It looks pretty cool. It can look at bunches of
logfiles, config files etc, and index them, then let you do various
data mining operations on the log data. The problem is that it's got a
proprietary license. They do have some projects on Sourceforge, but
those are only for extensions.

Something like this as a true FOSS project could be awesome.
--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/