[TriLUG] mysql weirdness

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Tue Nov 1 09:36:33 EST 2005

I have a server with a monthly cron job that rotates a large mysql
database (syslog records). It's been working fine for months. Than
sometime in August it stopped working.I didn't notice until today thanks
to not having previously been forwarding e-mail from root.
(woops)

Ok, so now the script does a mysqldump on an archive database, purges the
database, copies the existing syslog data to the archive database and then
deletes the archived data from the live DB.

Now everyone one of these steps generates the same error:

 	ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'hostname' (110)

Which is quite strange, since mysqld is running, I can interactively
connect and everything is running normally as far as I can tell. It takes
a rather long time for the error to pop-up but I can reproduce it from the
command-line.

So I'm stumped. Why would:

mysqldump -a -B syslogarchiveDB -C -e -F -h hostname -u root -ppassword > syslog-dumps/syslog.0

give an error but:

mysql -u root -ppassword

work fine? *scratches head*

Any suggestions? If mysqld has a debug mode I'd like to enable it.