[TriLUG] mysql weirdness

David Rasch rasch at raschnet.com
Tue Nov 1 09:42:03 EST 2005

Jeff,

the "Can't connect to MySQL..." error can mean many things, but the
difference between the working command and the failing command is
clearly the "-h hostname" piece.

I'd check that you find neither of these lines on your mysql server's
/etc/mysql/my.cnf:
skip-networking
bind-address=127.0.0.1

These are both security precautions included in many default MySQL
installations.

As for why it stopped working all of a sudden?  It's possible you did an
upgrade to the system, and the config file got updated to make one of
these changes.

-David