[TriLUG] Westell DSL Verizon model gives dhcp address I don't want

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Nov 7 15:48:30 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, John Broome wrote:
>
>> We can continue to speculate on how you *might* fix this
>> problem, or you can call the people that *know* and find
>> out.
>
> the person I got at tech service has never heard of
> bridging and has been there for 5 yrs and says that if
> they supported it, that she'd know about it and was
> adamant that I wasn't going to be getting bridging with
> them.

I decided to call again hoping I'd get someone different. I
found someone who knew exactly what I was talking about (the
person with 5 years experience had never heard of Linux). He
said they change the modems to bridge mode all the time and
he can't imagine why I had any problems. I'm sitting at the
end of the phone going "oh thankyouthankyou...". It's
amazing how the customer can be grateful just for being
allowed to use Verizon's service.

To change over I just surfed to the httpd running on the
modem (at 192.168.1.1) he gave me the username/passwd
(admin/password) (I'd tried admin/admin, and combinations of
westell/admin before calling the first time) and then walked
me through the changeover which entailed changing to bridge
mode in one place and turning off the modem's dhcpd in
another place. I didn't have to use their stupid CD at all.

Once my service is turned on (tomorrow) I'll just get the
public IP (73.x.x.x) from their dhcp server and the DSL
modem will just be a DSL to ethernet protocol converter.
Neato.

I just couldn't imagine moving my home network: network,
firewall, named settings - it would have taken me a week to
recover and get it working again.

Thanks everyone

Joe