[TriLUG] RR Network Reliablity

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 12:14:40 EST 2005

On 08 Nov 2005 10:31:38 -0500, jonc <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 09:59, Ryan Leathers wrote:
> > Hmmmm... I'm surprised if Time Warner is doing something other than
> > DOCSIS 1.1 which has all the good stuff you need to support stuff like
> > VoIP with aplomb.  Now, if you are doing VoIP over the service without
> > using these features then I'd fully expect you to get sketchy
> > performance now and then.
> >
> Your comment is spot on.  The problem is that TW will only allow TW
> "products" (like their Digital Phone) access to the good stuff. They
> don't allow other folks to peak beyond the veil of their cable modems.
> It's a business decision - not a technological one.

There have been some disturbances in the force* lately with big ISPs
starting to talk like RIAA and MPAA thinking that they have an
overreaching right to control the folks who use "their" internet.

One aspect of this is trying to grab control of services like VOIP on
"their" networks.

I can't recall who, but one of the heads of a large ISP was recently
making public statements about trying to get businesses like google to
pay them for the bandwidth. Seems like the cart is before the horse on
that one since google and others are the ones who are driving the
demand for bandwidth.  By analogy, how common is it in the
cable/satellite tv industry for the content providers to pay the
carriers vs. money flowing in the other direction?

It seems to me that we're in for a battle of business models.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/