[TriLUG] destroying disk drives

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Nov 8 21:49:09 EST 2005

John Broome wrote:
> On 11/8/05, Steve Hoffman <srhoffman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>We use Iron Mountain for tape backup storage, and I've seen a "Mobile
>>Shredder" with their name on it riding around RTP.  I've never asked,
>>but reading the side of the truck it looks like they'll shred docs and
>>discs.
 >
> I think Marvin was talking about hard drives.  If they have a mobile
> machine that will shread scsi drives, i wanna watch!

I'd say call Iron Mountain anyways.  If they don't offer it as a
service, they can tell you who can.  That's really right up their alley.

That said, if you've ever seen one of those mobile shredder trucks in
action, you'd have little doubt that they wouldn't so much as burp if
you dropped a hard drive in there.  The things have monster shredders
inside that handle huge amounts of paper (think a thirty gallon trash
can full of paper) at a time, taking just a few seconds to go through
the whole thing.  You could likely tip the driver twenty bucks to drop
a hard drive in the bin.  Never hurts to ask, right?

Mike