[TriLUG] destroying disk drives

Phillip Rhodes motley.crue.fan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:47:42 EST 2005

On 11/8/05, Blackburn, Marvin <mblackburn at glenraven.com> wrote:

> We have some disk drives (hp hot swappable) that need to be destroyed.
> Is anyone aware a company in the Raleigh/Durham Burlington Area that
> will do this. Any help will be appreciated.

I would think any machine shop / welding shop could help... cut through
the drive with an acetylene / oxygen blowtorch, and I'm reasonably sure
the data is "destroyed" enough for most scenarios. Unless you're
worried about the NSA or MI6... but if you were playing in that space,
I doubt you'd be asking this question here.

Something like a 500 ton hydraulic press could probably do quite a number
on a drive as well, but I'd go with the blowtorch myself... <shrug>

TTYL,

Phil