[TriLUG] No more Linux on WRT54G???

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 11 03:57:07 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 12:10, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> Ok, so I saw this blog post:
>
> <http://weblog.infoworld.com/smbit/archives/2005/11/diy_cutting_edg.html>
>
> which states that newer WRT54G's have a "different operating system, not
> subject to the new open source add-ons."
>
> Does anybody know anything about this? Have they abandoned Linux completely,
> or is this guy misinformed, or what? It seems
> like changing OS's would be a pretty major change while keeping the same
> model number... I also wonder what OS they might
> have switched to, and why they would switch?
>
> Ok, the "why" question is indirectly addressed in his entry, but I kinda
> doubt that most businesses that would
> otherwise be buying $1000+ Cisco routers are instead using WRT54G's with
> open-source firmware. Or are they?
>

> TTYL,
>
> Phil

First off, before the advent of the WRT54G we used a Cisco 860 router
when we wanted QoS at a remote client site.  That box sold for around
$800 and was a royal PITA to configure correctly. We only sold two of
those Cisco 860 boxes.

Since the advent of the WRT54G-S we have sold in excess of 50 to our
remote users and our clients have gone out and bought at least as many
of them.

So yes, it did cut into their higher end market - but just barely.

I think that once Cisco stumbled across the GPLed software in the WRT54G
they did two things:
 - release the code (as required by the GPL)
 - mandate a complete rewrite/code replacement for the units

I'm sure both decisions came down at the same time.  Corporations being
as they are (and Cisco more so than others), it simply took them this
long to rewrite/replace the code in the WRT54G with non-GPL code.

I think this has been in the works since the release of the initial
code.  Cisco, being Cisco simply did not anticipate the great wealth and
knowledge that would be generated by keeping the source open on these
units... and they probably *still* don't. :-)

Don't worry though. The WRT54G is a standard form factor and there are
folks out there (are you listening Tom Billman) who order these things
all the time and put their own OSes on them. As long as the demand is
alive I don't think the supply will run out anytime soon. You just won't
be able to get one with "Linksys" or "Cisco" printed on the side.

Jon