[TriLUG] WRT54G vs. Asus WL-500G

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 19:44:54 EST 2005

The new WL-500G arrived as the replacement for the no longer
OpenWRT-able Linksys box.  I'll try to configure and have a full
report within two weeks (you know, holidays and all).  The asus box
also has a couple of USB ports that I hope to use as connectors to HP
LaserJet 1200 printers.. but we'll see if I get that far.  If I am
able to boot OpenWRT and adjust power levels with wl I'll be happy.
So far here are some notable differences and similarities:

Linksys: 5 ports
WL: 5 ports plus two USB

Linksys: two rtpnc antennas with diversity or side selection
WL: single sma connector (no diversity antenna)

Linksys: $40-$60
WL: almost $100.00

and I'm sure there is more..

Greg