[TriLUG] Suse 10 - network interface not found problem

Dan Smith anilorac at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 25 11:02:08 EST 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm having an issue with a new install of Suse 10.0 desktop (32 bit
machine).  After install is completed, the network card is active, but I
can't connect to anything (e.g., router, nor if connected directly to
cable modem).  I'm getting an error message saying a network interface
isn't found.  I've researched several locations, and have not found a
working solution.

Using a Realtek nw card.  I found a couple references to problems with
the DHCP client, but those recommended fixes didn't work.

KICKER:  I have network services in failsafe mode, but not in user mode.

Anyone have insight?  I haven't had any problems with previous releases
on the same machine.

Many thanks for your thoughts,

Dan