[TriLUG] Suse 10 - network interface not found problem

John Mitchell john280z at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 12:48:24 EST 2005

On 11/25/05, Dan Smith <anilorac at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Happy Thanksgiving!
>
> I'm having an issue with a new install of Suse 10.0 desktop (32 bit
> machine).  After install is completed, the network card is active, but I
> can't connect to anything (e.g., router, nor if connected directly to
> cable modem).  I'm getting an error message saying a network interface
> isn't found.  I've researched several locations, and have not found a
> working solution.
>
> Using a Realtek nw card.  I found a couple references to problems with
> the DHCP client, but those recommended fixes didn't work.
>
> KICKER:  I have network services in failsafe mode, but not in user mode.
>
> Anyone have insight?  I haven't had any problems with previous releases
> on the same machine.

Dan, could you post the output of "ifconfig" and network part of
"lshw" (shows driver being used)?

Also, what happens if you do following(I use sudo):
sudo ifconfig eth0 down
(now pick an IP address approate for your router, something like 192.168.254.23)
sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.254.23

then try to ping your router;
"ping 192.168.254.254"  <-- my router

john mitchell