[TriLUG] Warning: M$ Question

Mark Freeze mfreeze at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 11:08:49 EST 2005

I realize that this is a Linux forum but...

I have a customer who's modem quit working a couple of days ago. When I
looked at it the modem wasn't present in device manager.  I figured it was a
bad modem and replaced it.  When I booted the machine, plug-n-play did not
even realize that a new card had been installed. I tried another modem and
it still didn't work. If you manually install the drivers win will tell you
that the device could not be found.  I thought that maybe the pci slot had
gone funky but a scsi card installed in the same slot was detected by win.

Has anyone seen behavior like this or had any experience with modem problems
in win2k?

Thanks,
Mark.