[TriLUG] Warning: M$ Question

Glenn Hennessee Glenn_Hennessee at ncsu.edu
Thu Dec 8 11:18:51 EST 2005

Mark Freeze wrote:
> I realize that this is a Linux forum but...
>
> I have a customer who's modem quit working a couple of days ago. When I
> looked at it the modem wasn't present in device manager.  I figured it was a
> bad modem and replaced it.  When I booted the machine, plug-n-play did not
> even realize that a new card had been installed. I tried another modem and
> it still didn't work. If you manually install the drivers win will tell you
> that the device could not be found.  I thought that maybe the pci slot had
> gone funky but a scsi card installed in the same slot was detected by win.
>
> Has anyone seen behavior like this or had any experience with modem problems
> in win2k?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.
Nothing exactly like that but I did add a USB 2.0 card to system. It
wouldn't work in the first slot I put it in but it did work in another
slot. Have you tried a different slot for the modem? Did you try
add/remove hardware and explicitly try to install the card? I have never
actually had that work but it's worth the 5 minutes it'll take to try.

glenn