[TriLUG] Hosting web site on old machine at home??

Dave Sorenson dave at logicalgeek.com
Fri Dec 9 09:49:56 EST 2005

I've been running a server on RR for about a year and my DNS has only
changed once and that was really early on. Just change your zone file to
point to the assigned IP and remember if it stops working to update. My
down time has minimal and setting up some kind of dydns system seems not
to be worth the effort at the moment. YMMV. :-)

Dave S.

David McDowell wrote:
> I'll just comment on the distro selection.  I use CentOS 4.x at home,
> love it, has a long life cycle, stable, etc.  A Debian release would
> give you the same, and an even LONGER life cycle!  Me, I'm unfamiliar
> with deb except in an Ubuntu desktop area, which is slim knowledge at
> best.  Using something like Fedora Core is far too unstable and way
> too many package updates, way too short a life cycle for running a
> stable, solid server.  Think of FC as debian testing or even debian
> unstable?  I actually saw someone at the LUG meeting last night
> running SuSE (brave IMHO) and I was never impressed with Mandriva
> (used to be Mandrake) but others like it.
>
> RR port 22 and 80 no problem for 5.5 years.  I use zoneedit.com for
> free DNS on dynamic IP.
>

> On 12/9/05, Scott Lundgren <trilug at capitalfellow.com> wrote:
>
>>> 1. What is good software used to host a photos that you can browse
>>> easily.
>>>

>> I use gallery 1.x from http://gallery.menalto.com/. It is OSS, the code
>> is on sourceforge, the website is offsite.
>>

>>> 3.  Is a 400 P2 128 megs of ram good enough for a lightly traveled web
>>> site.  Will not run a GUI to conserve resources.  Is this enough horse