[TriLUG] Gasp, OpenGL library problems!

Randy Barlow rpbarlow at ncsu.edu
Fri Dec 9 12:44:26 EST 2005

Brian Henning wrote:

> Yeah so what was it? (-:

It's hard to say what it was really, but here's a long story of what I
did.  I was able to get the code to compile finally, but every time I
ran it I would get the error about the library.  So I copied the library
file to /usr/lib/ and then it just gave me a Segmentation Fault (I am
very new to Linux programming, and really to programming in general, so
all this library stuff was very confusing).

So now a little background info on my system (it's relevant).  It's an
older PC with an nVidia TNT2 m64, and it's running Gentoo.  If I emerge
nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx, for some reason the version that is
supported in Gentoo doesn't work with my card (X crashes or just makes a
mess on the screen).  I had known about this before, and had installed
the nVidia proprietary driver from their website to solve the problem.
But I noticed that emerge thought that their version 1.0.6something was
installed, so I unmerged that.  Then I reinstalled nVidia's proprietary
driver 1.0.7167 (i think) from their website on the system, and this
seemed to have put the libraries I needed in /usr/lib/.  So I recompiled
by code and bam it worked.

OpenGL is pretty slick.  I've been playing around with a glut tutorial,
and last night I was able to animate a spinning triangle on my screen,
which was very exciting!  Anyways, have a great weekend all!

Randy