[TriLUG] Burning DVDs with large files

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Dec 15 09:58:35 EST 2005

Brian Henning wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>    Got the dual-layer DVD burner in yesterday and got my dual-layer
> blanks ready..  and suddenly have come upon the issue that mkisofs only
> allows files up to a certain size (probably up to the size of a
> single-layer DVD).  So I googled a bit and found out about UDF, but the
> mkudffs tool I found doesn't create an image I can burn using cdrecord..
>   and I've not yet found a useful tutorial or howto that specifically
> mentions large files.  Anyway, here's the specific situation:
>
> file is a g4u image 6.5GB in size.
>
> media is an 8.4GB dual-layer DVD-R.
>
> Would someone tell me how to get that file on the DVD, or point me to a
> good tutorial?  I'm a bit of a fish out of water when my mkisofs ->
> cdrecord system breaks.. :-(

I have not yet burned a dual layer DVD, but as far as I know there
should be nothing preventing mkisofs from building an image that large.
 However, iso9660 filesystems have a 2 GB file size limit.  So if your
image is a single 6.5 gig file, you will need to break it up.

When I burn DVDs, I almost always use growisofs from the command line.

Pat