[TriLUG] NFS client on Laptop configuration question, and an Ubuntu tip

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 17:01:34 EST 2005

On 12/19/05, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like the above all need to be on one line, or at least one logical line
>
> /etc/auto.net frodo produces:
> -fstype=nfs,.....  \
>    /public frodo:/public \
>    /other frodo:/other \
>    /yetanother frodo:/yetanother
>
> Where each line but the last ends with a \ which I guess nullifies the newline.

That's probably because it uses the syntax where it puts the options
first.  If you specify the mounts yourself where you put the options between
the mount point and the nfs share, they don't have to be on one line.  See
/etc/auto.trilug on one of the trilug shares for an example of that.

> I'm not sure that I really want to automount everything that the
> server is exporting.

That is, of course, a personal decision.  But, if you don't want something
to be mounted, I'd ask why it's being exported in the first place.  I personally
don't see it as that big of a deal, but that's is most definitely my _personal_
opinion and I'm sure others have their own opinions too that are equally
as valid. :-)

Cheers,
Tanner

--