[TriLUG] NFS client on Laptop configuration question, and an Ubuntu tip

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 17:32:08 EST 2005

On 12/19/05, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> not all seconds are equal. I have some machines which umount
> in the expected time and some machines that will umount in
> 1min if you put 15 here and never umount if I put 60.

If that is the case then I would suggest that

a) something is actually keeping files open longer than you would
expect.  Even just navigating to a directory on the share in bash
can hold it mounted since bash opens the directory.

b) There is enough load on your server to disrupt the ticks the autofs
program gets when checking.  Not likely, but if the autofs program has
been niced way way down it could happen.

c) Is something wrong with your clock?  I had a computer once that
couldn't keep time even if you gave it a barrel to hold it in.  Once again,
not likely, but definitely possible.

I think the most likely explanation is a).  Even if you close a program, the
file it opened may not actually be closed right away, from the kernel
perspective.
The best way to find out is to run lsof and see what it says.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace