[TriLUG] NFS client on Laptop configuration question, and an Ubuntu tip

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Dec 20 16:29:08 EST 2005

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> On 12/19/05, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
>> not all seconds are equal. I have some machines which umount
>> in the expected time and some machines that will umount in
>> 1min if you put 15 here and never umount if I put 60.
>
> If that is the case then I would suggest that
>
> a) something is actually keeping files open longer than you would
> expect.  Even just navigating to a directory on the share in bash
> can hold it mounted since bash opens the directory.

as I was writing the posting, I thought this a likely
explanation. However a pair of machines set up similarly,
one behaves OK and one doesn't. Both machines are idle.
Neither are running nautilus or anything that snoops for
mounts.

> b) There is enough load on your server to disrupt the ticks the autofs
> program gets when checking.  Not likely, but if the autofs program has
> been niced way way down it could happen.

hadn't thought of that, but automount is running at 0 NI

> c) Is something wrong with your clock?  I had a computer once that
> couldn't keep time even if you gave it a barrel to hold it in.  Once again,
> not likely, but definitely possible.

ntp is quite happy.

> I think the most likely explanation is a).  Even if you close a program, the
> file it opened may not actually be closed right away, from the kernel
> perspective. The best way to find out is to run lsof and see what it says.

nothing open on the device that doesn't behave on the
machine that doesn't behave.

I've noticed a machine at another location I work at, that I
didn't setup, also doesn't timeout correctly. So it's not
that I've propagated some problem through all my machines.

THanks Joe