[TriLUG] Embedded Device With Audio Inputs?

Shane O'Donnell shaneodonnell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 14:18:30 EST 2005

Depending on what you're trying to do, the quality of the sound you're
trying to capture (e.g, voice vs. ogg), and what processing you're
doing to it along the way...beware that most on-board sound inputs
SUUUUUUUUCK for high-quality audio.

Did I mention that they suck?  Oh yes, they suck.

Likely OK for phone-quality voice, but not much more.

And if you're trying to do any manipulation of that audio stream
(e.g., Audacity, Ardour, Rosengarden, etc.), you might be barking up
the wrong tree looking for something embedded.

Then again, if you're just trying to capture the sound from Greg
Brown's bluetooth headset on his helmet cam, you'll probably be
alright.

Shane O.

On 20 Dec 2005 14:00:53 -0500, jonc <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> How about a mini-mother board with built-in sound card - $210?
>
> http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/306
>
> Here's one for $129:
> http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/78_76/products_id/270
>
> Good hunting!
>
> Jon
>
> BTW: Anyone playing with voice shaping? Changing the tone and cadence of
> a set of voices so that they all sound similar? In real-time?
>
> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 11:12, Mark Turner wrote:
> > Hi kids!
> >
> > I'm cooking up a project which requires an embedded Linux device which
> > has audio inputs. I know there are tons of devices (MediaMVP, etc) with
> > audio outputs. Most of them don't have inputs, though.
> >
> > Does anyone know of Linux devices with audio inputs?
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > --
> > Mark Turner
> > www.markturner.net