[TriLUG] Re: Open source spam control & filtering?

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Thu Dec 22 15:27:12 EST 2005

Jon Carnes wrote:
> BrightMail is *very* good. They are a good example of private folks
> using OpenSource to benefit corporations. One thing they do that is
> "bright" is put out bait email addresses on the web and use those for
> gathering spam. They have some nice real-time (grey-listing type) of
> algorithms that let them get a very high hit ratio on actual spam

My only experience with BrightMail has been as a "user" behind a large
corporate firewall with all inbound/outbound mail redirected through
SMTP.  Maybe they had it misconfigured or something, but I was not
impressed.  The mail server I ran for the organization unit I was in
caught a ton of spam that made it through the brightmail filters.  After
hearing several good reviews of BrightMail I'm forced to conclude the IT
people running the corporate filter had cocked it up somehow.

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
 Carolina Spirit Quest  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/