[TriLUG] 802.11g

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Sun Jan 1 15:58:31 EST 2006

For desktops, I like to use a wireless bridge (some newer
ones are called "wireless gaming adaptors").

I have had some good success with the older D-Link
DWL-810 (which does 802.11b but not g).  More recently,
I have used the Linksys WRT54G with the Sveasoft
firmware, and then set it to be an "access point
client".

Whatever hardware you use, it's basically a box with an
antenna and an ethernet jack.  You connect the PC to the
wireless bridge with an ethernet cable.  No drivers, no
mess.  All configuration is done via a web interface.

Alan