[TriLUG] 802.11g

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 20:18:10 EST 2006

A word of warning about the WRT54G!!

Any WRT54G hardware past version 4.x will NOT run 3rd party
linux-based operating systems.  That said, you can opt for a WRT54GL
that *can* run 3rd part linux-based OSes.

http://tinyurl.com/csas7

All that said my best success with wireless bridges has been using the
WAP54G running pure Linksys code.  The latest version of OpenWRT
doesn't work well as a bridge.  So, if you want an easy way to set up
wireless to any Linux box using a wireless link I'd get a WRT54GL
running some flavor of Linux as the "main" access point then have a
WAP54G working as the bridge.

On a side note, the Asus 500-GL Deluxe make a *fine* OpenWRT machine
(it has two USB ports thrown in for fun where the WRT54GL does not).

Greg