[TriLUG] TiVo and Linux

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Tue Jan 3 06:43:16 EST 2006

Interesting... my experience so far is more optimistic than the dialogue
on that site suggests.

I can do the following:

1.) Download the TiVo recordings by using a web browser to https://<tivo's
ip address> where the username is tivo and the password is the Media
Access Key.

2.) In a VMWare window running Windows XP,, run the freeware application
DSD dump to extract the mpeg2 stream (see http://prish.com/etivo/tbr.htm)

3.) Using mplayer or xine, play the mpeg2 stream under linux.

I have not yet figured out how to burn a DVD with the video (any
suggestions?), since dvdauthor is so opaque to me. And what I can't do is
replace the dsddump step with a linux-based FLOSS solution.

Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
Assistant Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA