[TriLUG] cupsys broken, libslp1 at fault?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Jan 3 11:32:50 EST 2006

Hi List,
   The latest round of updates from aptitude seems to have borked my
cups installation; specifically, cupsys won't install.  Closer
inspection seems to tie the problem to libslp1, which also won't
install.  I'm not sure how to get more information than the "...exited
with Error 1" messages.  Here's the output of some dpkg commands:

% dpkg-query -W libslp1
libslp1 1.2.1-3

% dpkg --configure libslp1
dpkg: error processing libslp1 (--configure):
  package libslp1 is not ready for configuration
  cannot configure (current status `half-installed')
  libslp1

% dpkg --install /var/cache/apt/archives/libslp1-1.2.1-3_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 158782 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libslp1 1.2.1-3 (using
.../libslp1_1.2.1-3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libslp1 ...
frontend: cannot connect to X server
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
frontend: cannot connect to X server
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libslp1_1.2.1-3_i386.deb
(--install):
  subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
frontend: cannot connect to X server
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
  /var/cache/apt/archives/libslp1_1.2.1-3_i386.deb

libslp1-1.2.1-5 is the current version, which spits out exactly the same
error messages.  How do I find out what "error exit status 1" means, and
how to fix it?  I'd sure like printing to work again.

Thanks a lot,
~Brian