[TriLUG] running fsck on removable disk, while there are LABEL entries in /etc/fstab

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Jan 3 19:53:59 EST 2006

I've changed over to mounting (some of) my disks with LABEL
(instead of the device) in /etc/fstab.

Now when I go to fsck a zip disk (say) which doesn't have a
LABEL I get the error

dennis:~# fsck /dev/hdb4
fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
Couldn't find matching filesystem: LABEL=backup1

(backup1 is the first LABEL'ed entry in /etc/fstab)

Commenting out the LABEL entries in /etc/fstab allows me to
fsck the external disk.

How can I fsck the external disk without having to comment
out the LABEL lines in /etc/fstab?

Thanks Joe