[TriLUG] questions about open-Xchange

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Tue Jan 3 22:21:17 EST 2006

I just recently setup a Open-Xchange System.  Though we are primarily
using it for document shares, scheduling and tasks, I did look over some
of the email functions.  Just so you know, Open-Exchange isn't a mail
server per say, but an interface to your mail server, it connects up to
your servers IMAP and SMTP servers (Courier/Postfix), for mail
transport.  It just provides and interface to them, and user accounts
are shared through ldap (i.e. your mailserver should use ldap for user
auth).

One warning, install and setup was VERY hard for the OpenSource version
of OpenXchange.  I spent days on it, tracking down and fixing problems
here and there.  The install is not document very well, and google will
be come your best friend as you search for solutions to error messages.
I'm reasonably versed in Linux (installed on RHAS4), and tomcat/apache
setups (that was the easy part), but man was I getting pissed.

After using it for a while, I will most likely fork the bill for the
Commercial version (I get academic rates since this is for a research
department at a private university).  Just for the easier install,
documentation, and easier administration (the Outlook/Palm connectors
are a nice bonus).

Overall I like the interface.  I've got some pretty non-computer geeks
using it and they seem to be picking it up pretty well.

-David