[TriLUG] Ethernet Question

Steve Kuekes steve at kuekes.homeip.net
Fri Jan 6 09:20:24 EST 2006

I'm having a strange problem on my home ethernet.

I have two linux systems that are connected via a 10/100 hub, a linux
workstation and a linux server, both running slightly different versions
of Mandrake 10.0.

When I do a sftp get from the server to the workstation for a large file
(like an iso image) I get about 170kb/sec throughput (as indicated by
sftp).  When I do a sftp put from the workstation to the server I get
500kb/sec.  And a get of the same file takes much longer than a put of
the same file.  I've also noticed this performance problem reading from
the linux server using a Windows/Samba connection and using a linux
client using NFS.  Writing data is fast, but reading is slow.

Any ideas on where to look for this problem?
--
Steve Kuekes

Insight Racing http://www.insightracing.org
Private Pilot: N9259R '95 Saratoga based at Sanford-Lee County Regional
(TTA)
email: skuekes at nc.rr.com