[TriLUG] Ethernet Question

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Jan 6 09:37:56 EST 2006

My first guess would be differences in the disk read/write performance
of the two systems.  If the server is a little clunkier and can only
store data at 500kb/sec, the transfer isn't going to go any faster.

On the other hand, for magnetic media it doesn't seem to make sense that
reads and writes wouldn't be the same speed (compared to, for example,
flash, where writes are much slower than reads), so that doesn't
necessarily make any sense either..  Unless perhaps the filesystem is
having to fragment the data, which would introduce more seek delays..

So I stand by my guess.  Disk I/O.

~B