[TriLUG] Debian vs. Ubuntu server

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Jan 6 13:27:09 EST 2006

Greg Brown wrote:

>After trying to die several times over the past six months my beloved
>P-II CentOS home server has finally, and fully, bit the dust.
>
>I'm going to convert my old very slightly used P4 Win machine to my
>new server after upgrading the disks to dual 250 gig.  The only
>question remains the OS: debian or Ubuntu?
>
>>From a desktop perspective I love Ubuntu but I'm a bit leary of the
>server release only because I really haven't used it.
>
>What are everyone's thoughts for a home server?
>
>Greg

I suppose I'm still a Debian man, but my reasoning goes like this.  As I
see it, the main reason for Ubuntu's inception was a) frustration with
no recent release of Debian, b) desire to beautify the gui interface and
make that better.  There are probably other advantages, but those are
the primary ones in my humble opinion.  Given that there's a current and
reasonably recent release of Debian (Sarge) which will be stably
supported for the next 5 years by a distro that's been around long
enough to prove it can do so, and the fact anything deemed a server
probably shouldn't have X installed, I can't really see any reason to be
running Ubuntu.

That's my two cents, let the flaming Ubuntu-cheering responses ensue.
Aaron S. Joyner