[TriLUG] Corporate solutions for spyware?

Allen Freeman knieveltech at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 15:45:50 EST 2006

<snip>
I suspect the anti-spyware unit will be helpful, but it will NOT "completely
eliminates spyware and other forms of malware from your organization."
Nothing will.  Eliminating spyware in a company connected to the Internet is
as hopeless as trying to kill all the cockroaches in a big old apartment
building.

Mike

I did a bunch of work for my last employer involving spyware and I'd say your statement about wiping it out is true, but only to a point. The truth is there is absolutely no single solution for the problem and if anyone tells you otherwise they're likely in marketing. I've found that to keep spyware at least manageable on a small to medium sized network it requires defense in depth. An anti-spyware suite on all the workstations, IE and windows hardening techniques, firewalling, removing user rights to install software where applicable,  limiting internet access, etc. The problem these days is that to do all of this and make sure it's all properly maintained is easily a fulltime job. I do believe that a solidly secured workstation build, detection software, and restricting user access to the internet can go a long way towards making the problem manageable.

-Allen Freeman