[TriLUG] Newbie question reguarding YUM and Linux.

Chad Thomsen chad.thomsen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 08:05:43 EST 2006

Is it adviseable to run YUM and let the system update itself.  I would tend
to think that any dependencies on files being updated may cause issue with
the software that has created the depedencies.  As I am much more
experienced in  the windows realm of netork administration, I would NEVER
let my servers update themselves automatically.  There has been too many
times where a patch from MS fubared a major application or caused other
issues.  I am guessing that the same issue exists with Linux (or with any OS
for that matter) but to a lesser degree as in my ventures into the world of
Linux has revealed it to be a much more robust, stable, efficenent and
secure system.