Gentoo advantage? (was: [TriLUG] What distro do you use AT WORK on your SERVERS.)

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Thu Jan 12 09:15:47 EST 2006

It's sort of inaccurate to say "if you don't want $FOO, don't use $FOO."
For example, if I want to have gaim or grip, I have to install bonobo, no
matter how much I dislike bonobo.

Gentoo does provide all sorts of USE flags to customize how your system is
built (and the docs mention the caveat that extensive custom USE flags can
make a system brittle).  It does allow you to start with a very basic
installation.  It does teach you quite a bit about how a Linux system goes
together.

I don't think it is a production system.  Gentoo is notorious for
releasing changes without doing thorough testing (google for the apache
1.series to apache 2.series breakages), for example.

On the whole it has a place, and installing a few Gentoo systems is a good
learning experience...I just wouldn't run one in production.

--
William Sutton