Gentoo advantage? (was: [TriLUG] What distro do you use AT WORK on your SERVERS.)

Randy Barlow rpbarlow at ncsu.edu
Thu Jan 12 09:50:35 EST 2006

William Sutton wrote:

>It's sort of inaccurate to say "if you don't want $FOO, don't use $FOO."
>For example, if I want to have gaim or grip, I have to install bonobo, no
>matter how much I dislike bonobo.

Yeah, I agree here - package dependencies can cause you to install
things you may not want.  I guess a better way to word it is just that
Gentoo gives you more choices than most binary distributions will...

>I don't think it is a production system.  Gentoo is notorious for
>releasing changes without doing thorough testing (google for the apache
>1.series to apache 2.series breakages), for example.

I can actually attest to problems during upgrades with my Gentoo
system.  Actually, some of my problems have to do with my own
incompetence :)  So it may not be a great production system, but I think
it can be a useful system nonetheless.

--
Randy Barlow
Research Assistant