[TriLUG] serial palm & pilot-link / kpilot

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Fri Jan 20 22:37:07 EST 2006

I'm trying to get a serial palm to sync with a linux desktop.
Specifically, it is a Kyocera 6135 and FC4 on a Dell Poweredge 300.

When I run the kpilot connection wizard and use the "autodetect" mode
and hit the hotsync modem, the progress bar does pause for a while,
but then the palm disconnects with an error stating the connection
was dropped. I've tried different connections speeds on the palm
with no effect. I also tried to alias /dev/pilot to /dev/ttyS0
and "chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS0" with no effect.

I must admit that I have no friggin' clue how to hook _anything_ up to
a serial port in Linux. So I don't even know how to determine if the
serial ports are even working.

Can anyone suggest a starting point?

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformance.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software