[TriLUG] Digital phone recomendations

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 21 06:40:45 EST 2006

Tanner's points are all good. Be careful though about the number of
phones you have driven by the Vonage box - it is only designed to power
2 ordinary analog phones, so be sure that your other phones provide
their own power (if you truely have 8 phones plugged into your home
line.

I cut Bell's line to my house a few years back, and I love having
Digital phone service (VoIP).

I would recommend that you go with your local Hosted provider - which is
Time Warner. Your internet is with TimeWarner so your voice traffic
would stay local to Time Warner. Thus you will have less problems with
Voice quality than if you go with any other provider. Vonage is only one
extra hop away, but a single hop on a stressed network can cause Voice
quality problems. That being said, I haven't heard anything bad about
the quality of Vonage over TimeWarner's network.

One other item that might concern you is Local Number Portability: the
ability to move your current home phone number over to another service.

TimeWarner is a local CLEC so they have no problems taking over your
number - or giving it back.  Vonage contracts with a local gateway
company that is a CLEC. If you go with Vonage then that local company
(and NOT vonage) now controls your number. A lot of folks have had a
*very* difficult time recovering their number - as in still waiting
years later... So if you end up not liking Vonage, then getting your
number back can turn into a crap shoot.

Good luck, and welcome to the 21st century!

Jon Carnes
FeatureTel