[TriLUG] A Slow Serial Modem

Brian Bell bbell at kneecap.net
Sat Jan 21 17:14:05 EST 2006

I need one!!! (me thinks)

I'm working on a project that requires a modem connection between a
modern (currently running ubuntu 5.10) linux box and an old proprietary
industrial computer which uses a 1200 baud modem.

To do this project, we purchased a Creative Labs-Modem Blaster 56K V.92
External Modem-DE5621 from Best Buy.
For whatever reason, we can't seem to get it to connect to the old
system at a slow enough speed.

So ... my question is twofold.
    1. does anyone have any experience in this area? ie. connecting
modern day stuff with 20+ year old equipment? and/or any experience with
this modem?

    2. does anyone have access to OLD modems that would be more
"comfortable" for lack of a better word with slower systems?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

--
Brian Bell