[TriLUG] geek-friendly ISP's

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Jan 25 22:15:30 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 09:39:05PM -0500, Alan Porter wrote:

> The point is: I want an ISP that will let me run services.
>
> I have heard good things about Intrex DSL (which is resold
> BellSouth service).

Sort of.  They are certainly using BellSouth wires, but I don't know
exactly how much more involvement BS has.

I have been a happy TriLUG customer of Intrex DSL for quite some time,
running incoming and outgoing SMTP, as well as incoming IMAP, IMAPS,
SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, and possibly other things I have forgotten.  I have
just "upgraded" the connection to do IPv6-over-IPv4, too.

> Intrex's T&C also say "no servers".
> But I hear that their sales staff are happy to help out
> TriLUG members by bending those rules.  Their service is
> $45/mo for 1.5 mbps.

If they are offering you that price for that speed, take it!  That's
what I am paying ( actually a little more ) for 256/128.

Actually, what you are calling "bending the rules" is part of the TriLUG
sponsorship deal. ( Commercial package for residential rates. )

> But I'd have to keep my BellSouth
> local service ($26) because BS will not run "naked" DSL.

True.

> Then there are cable resellers, like Earthlink ($42).  Again,
> add $10-$25 for VOIP.

Earthlink will sell you Cable, DSL or Satellite, for varying rates.  The
issue that I had with them was blocking of port 25, but either No-Ip.com
or Misk.com ( I forget which ) offered a redirect service which allowed
me to do incoming SMTP on port 2525 into my network, while the rest of
the world thought it was talking to port 25.

> Alan

Brian