[TriLUG] geek-friendly ISP's

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 28 12:42:53 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 11:16, David W. Aquilina wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 07:25:35AM -0500, Alan Porter wrote:
> > > Speakeasy ++
> >
> > I assume that they resell other service, like Intrex
> > and Earthlink do.  Are they Cable or DSL, or both?
> >
> > I did a quick search on their web page, and all they
> > offered in the Cary/Apex BellSouth area was a T1.
>
> They resell Covad, which uses BellSouth's lines.
>
> (the one time I had line trouble it was a Covad truck that came out to check things out. It's worth noting that I had called late the night before, the truck was there early the next morning)

It's also worth noting that even though the Line comes from Bell the DSL
is really on Speakeasy's network and *not* Bell's. This makes a
tremendous difference in your internet connectivity.

Some of our VoIP clients can't use either Bell or TimeWarner in their
locations - due to those ISPs over-extending the local service (or
running their service on older sub-standard cabling...). We've never had
that problem with Speakeasy.

Speakeasy also offers guaranteed minimal bandwidth - which you can't get
from either Bell or TimeWarner. It costs more for the reserved bandwidth
but it works great for VoIP service - and costs a lot less than a T1.

Jon Carnes
FeatureTel