[TriLUG] Opera 8.5 caching dynamic pages

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 16:39:29 EST 2006

On 2/14/06, Barry Gaskins <barry.gaskins at gmail.com> wrote:
>    The HTTP headers that are sent back with a request have a value for how
> long to hold the page in cache.  So I would say that the first thing to
> check is to see if that value is set correctly.  I don't know anything about
> Opera so it may be ignoring the value.  But I suspect that your server
> is telling the browser that it is allowed to cache the page.  I don't
> remember off the top of my head exactly what the name of the header is or
> how you set it using PHP.
>
>    - Barry

There's also a commonly used http protocol in which the client adds an
"If-Modified-Since" header to the get request, and the server either
responds with a page if the since date is older than what the server
has available, or a response indicating that it doesn't.

It's not uncommon for poorly written server code to get this protocol wrong.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/