[TriLUG] Lunch Friday?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Wed Feb 22 23:17:04 EST 2006

Ian Kilgore wrote:
> Magnus wrote:
> |
> | You mean like Jeff Foxworthy?
> |
> | According to Foxworthy, "all y'all" is plural and "all y'all's" is plural
> | posessive.
> |
> | That's good enough for me.
>
> No, "all y'all" is plural... but "all y'alls" is even /more/ plural.

Shortly after I moved to Dallas, TX I asked a lot of questions about the
different forms of y'all...  All the natives I talked to agreed with:

"y'all" seems to be much like "you" in that it can be both singular and
plural, but it is most often plural.  "All y'all" is always plural, and
it really means to encompass the whole group, not just most of it (i
suppose that makes it VERY plural? :p).

I also discovered "both y'all," which is a plural form referring to two
and only two.  You can appends an apostrophe "s" to any of these to make
them possessive :).

My other two favorite words I learned were "larapin" and "tump".
"Larapin" apparently means "delicious" and "tumped" is apparently a
combination of "tip" and "dump."

I am told that you can only use "tump" in the past or present tense...
You can use it in a warning ("Careful!  You're gonna tump it over!"), or
you can use it in the past tense ("I tumped over my drink").  You cannot
say that you are fixin' to tump something over...

I hope the many months of research of a yankee in Texas is of use to
someone :).

Pat