[TriLUG] DNS Questions / Help

Lisa C. Boyd leaseahb at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 15:29:55 EST 2006

Jon Carnes wrote:
> > WARN Mail server host name in greeting WARNING: One or more of your
> > mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is
> > (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or
> > a dash, then the host name). This probably won't cause any harm,
> > but is a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1).
> > Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A
> > record pointing back to the same server.
> >
> > I'm not sure we can do anything about this one either.
> >
>  --- Warning #2 --- Look at the output from this. The server should
>  give a valid domain name in the Helo sequence. That valid domain name
>  should resolve to the IP address of the server. If that happens, you
>  are golden here.
>
>  I've had a few clients that had problems with this. Some sites will
>  reject you email if you don't follow the specs.

Not to be really spacey -- although I am today -- look at what output?
In the DNS Report? Where's the Helo sequence? Is it this part:

mx2.spunky.mail.dreamhost.com claims to be host spoon.dreamhost.com [but
that host is at 66.33.219.19, not 66.33.219.36].
mx1.spunky.mail.dreamhost.com claims to be host straw.dreamhost.com [but
that host is at 205.196.219.5, not 66.33.219.35].
mx3.spunky.mail.dreamhost.com claims to be host chopstick.dreamhost.com
[but that host is at 64.111.107.12, not 66.33.219.42].

It's all DreamHost -- is this ok or something my client needs to worry
about?

Lisa B.