[TriLUG] DNS Questions / Help

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 15:53:37 EST 2006

On 3/24/06, Lisa C. Boyd <leaseahb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jon Carnes wrote:
> > > WARN Mail server host name in greeting WARNING: One or more of your
> > > mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is
> > > (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or
> > > a dash, then the host name). This probably won't cause any harm,
> > > but is a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1).
> > > Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A
> > > record pointing back to the same server.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure we can do anything about this one either.
> > >
> >  --- Warning #2 --- Look at the output from this. The server should
> >  give a valid domain name in the Helo sequence. That valid domain name
> >  should resolve to the IP address of the server. If that happens, you
> >  are golden here.
> >
> >  I've had a few clients that had problems with this. Some sites will
> >  reject you email if you don't follow the specs.
>
> Not to be really spacey -- although I am today -- look at what output?
> In the DNS Report? Where's the Helo sequence?

It's complaining about the response they got when they connected to
port 25 of your mail server.

Try connecting to port 25 with telnet and see what the initial prompt
says it should be something like

220 mail.yourdomain.com  ESTMP Postfix

or something like that.  If you are using postfix the name in this
prompt is controlled by the myhostname setting in main.cf. If you are
using sendmail or some other MTA it'll be somewhere else.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/