[TriLUG] Migrating CVS to a new server

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Apr 5 10:53:41 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 10:41 -0400, Steve Hoffman wrote:
> My company currently uses CVS for version control, but the box it's running
> on is a sadly outdated RH9 box that is in serious need of some attention.
> I'd like to upgrade it to RHEL4 as soon as possible, but I've never had to
> move a repository.  I've done just a little googling with no luck and
> figured someone here had to have done it before.  My eventual plans are to
> switch to subversion, but I want to use that same box to do it so CVS needs
> to be somewhere else until I can get it all ready.
>
> Any pointers?

Hi Steve,

In my experience (and I've done this a number of times), its perfectly
OK to copy CVS repositories from one machine to another using tar or "cp
-ra" any other copying mechanism that preserves all the file data and
all the meta-data (that is, the files and directories themselves plus
all their user, group, permission, time, etc. attributes).  A CVS
repository is really just a directory tree full of user data from
potentially multiple users.  So you can back it up and move it around
like any other user data.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD