[TriLUG] Migrating CVS to a new server

Magnus stinkfart at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 10:54:59 EDT 2006

CVS is easy to move.  There are no config files really.  Just pick up your
CVS root and rsync it to the new server.  Do one rsync while the old CVS
server is up and running.  Then during your change window, shut down access
to the old repository, do another rsync, and bring it up on the new box.  If
your access method is ssh you may want to copy the ssh server key over to
the new server as well to minimize impact to end users.

Make sure your UID/GID mappings are the same when you move to the new
server.

I recently did this for a CVS server that handles about 18,000 users and 500
projects.  No worries.

On 4/5/06, Steve Hoffman <srhoffman at gmail.com> wrote:

> My company currently uses CVS for version control, but the box it's
> running
> on is a sadly outdated RH9 box that is in serious need of some attention.
> I'd like to upgrade it to RHEL4 as soon as possible, but I've never had to
> move a repository.  I've done just a little googling with no luck and
> figured someone here had to have done it before.  My eventual plans are to
> switch to subversion, but I want to use that same box to do it so CVS
> needs
> to be somewhere else until I can get it all ready.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

"The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in
the same hands…may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
—James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 47