[TriLUG] smbfs/cifs group-write problems in KDE apps

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu May 4 10:02:35 EDT 2006

Hi Gang,
   I'm having a heck of a time overwriting mode-664 files across a SMB
or CIFS connection.  Here's the scoop:

Host:  FC3, running SMB/NMB (among other things)
Client:  Debian Sarge with both smbfs and cifs kernel modules

The file on the server is something like this:
-rw-rw-r--  1 notme slingers 5928  May  4 8:44 afile.html

It's owned by a user that isn't me, but its group ownership (slingers)
is a group of which I'm a member.  From a shell on the server, I have no
problems modifying the file as myself.  However..  From my SMB client,
if I try to save a modification, or overwrite it in any way, first the
server truncates the file to 0, then responds with "Permission Denied."
  I've tried remounting with both smbfs and cifs, I've tried rebooting
my client, I've tried restarting the SMB service on the server, all to
no avail.

And here's another little tidbit I just discovered:  It only seems to be
a problem with GUI apps.  I can vi the files across smb till my heart's
content..  It's just when using Konqueror to copy files around, or using
Kate to edit, that I encounter these truncate-then-deny problems.

Anyone else seen this?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
~Brian